Equanimity and '2nd Gear Transmission'

Nick Andrew Ludvigson, modified 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 12:14 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 12:14 PM

Equanimity and '2nd Gear Transmission'

For those familiar with both the Theravadin view of Equanimity and Kenneth Folk's concept of '2nd Gear Transmission', what is the relationship between these stages? Are these two different ways to think of the same state? There seem to be certain similarities to them- the panoramic quality and seeming to be aware of the observer.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 2:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 2:06 PM

RE: Equanimity and '2nd Gear Transmission'

Kenneth's "3 Gear" system is informed by the Theravadan model, but with 2nd gear he's talking about a specific technique for getting into a specific state; Equanimity is in the 4th vipassana jhana and all of the arupa jhanas have their basis in 4th jhana. The 2nd gear method is asking "Who am I?" until one enters into that state of what you might call "the observer", which has it's basis in 6th jhana, the Sphere of Infinite Consciousness. Is that what you were looking for?
Nick Andrew Ludvigson, modified 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 3:59 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 3:59 PM

Thanks for the response. I guess it seems a bit hazy how or if they are related. Both Equanimity and 2nd gear are the stage preceding SE. Are you saying that the gear system's difference is that it is a deeper jhana state associated with it compared to the Theravada maps (sixth jhana vs fourth jhana)? I seem to recall a coversation saying that those seeking SE should also be attempting to locate the observer in the moment to moment experience. Is this correct? Are these two ways to view a similar state or are they not at all related?
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 5:03 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 5:03 PM

Nick Andrew Ludvigson:
Thanks for the response. I guess it seems a bit hazy how or if they are related. Both Equanimity and 2nd gear are the stage preceding SE. Are you saying that the gear system's difference is that it is a deeper jhana state associated with it compared to the Theravada maps (sixth jhana vs fourth jhana)? I seem to recall a coversation saying that those seeking SE should also be attempting to locate the observer in the moment to moment experience. Is this correct? Are these two ways to view a similar state or are they not at all related?

It sounds like you're getting a bit mixed up here, I'll try to clarify if I can...

Kenneth's 2nd gear has nothing to do with stream entry itself, it's a useful technique which has it's roots in Maharishi Ramana's teachings, not the Theravada. It's not a stage on the progress of insight, it's a concentration state which can be loosely correlated with certain aspects of 6th jhana, which is also a concentration state and not an insight stage in the same sense as Knowledge of Equanimity is. This stuff can get a bit complicated, particularly if you're making assumptions based on inaccurate information.

Those seeking SE should be paying attention on a moment by moment basis to their sensate experience as it occurs, seeing the transient, empty and tension-causing nature of all phenomena in real-time and understanding how suffering can be brought to an end.
Nick Andrew Ludvigson, modified 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 5:46 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/26/12 5:46 PM

Thanks again, this is making a bit more sense. Is this to say then that 3rd gear has nothing to do with SE and it is yet another concentration state?
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 4/27/12 1:50 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/27/12 1:50 PM

Nick Andrew Ludvigson:
Is this to say then that 3rd gear has nothing to do with SE and it is yet another concentration state?

One of the good things about Kenneth's model is his use of "scaffolding" to help a person learn more efficiently, the downside of this is that he breaks up bigger concepts into bite-sized chunks which can lead to confusion if they're not understood within a larger context. Basically Kenneth's 3rd gear is the moment of surrender, it's not a concentration state or a stage, it's something "I" do when "I" just let go; it comes from the non-dual/"do nothing" approach to practice and so I wouldn't line it up with SE in that way.

All of these methods and techniques are just different ways to practice, what works for you may be different to what works for someone else. Stream entry requires momentum which comes through continued, dedicated practice with precise attention to what's happening at this moment, whether you get there through Mahasi-style noting or through koan practice, it's just a case of practising well with good technique.
thumbnail
wacky jacky, modified 11 Years ago at 4/28/12 3:04 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/28/12 3:04 AM

Hi Tommy. I was wondering, is the self-inquiry "who am i?" practice, is that considered part of non-dualism? Is there a difference between non-dualism and advaita vedanta?
Thanks, Jacki.
An Eternal Now, modified 11 Years ago at 4/28/12 5:54 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/28/12 5:53 AM

wacky jacky:
Hi Tommy. I was wondering, is the self-inquiry "who am i?" practice, is that considered part of non-dualism? Is there a difference between non-dualism and advaita vedanta?
Thanks, Jacki.
Self-inquiry leads to the I AM realization and is one of the main techniques of Advaita, but there are a number of realizations: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

Non-dual usually refers to Stage 4 in that map, the non-dualism of Advaita speaks about this. Stage 5 onwards is also non-dual but of a different kind of insight.

Breadcrumb