Consciousness, awareness, and inconstancy

SK R, modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 7:54 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 6:42 PM

Consciousness, awareness, and inconstancy

A question to experienced meditators:

Is consciousness (Pali: viññāṇa) constant or inconstant?
If it is inconstant then how is it related to the pure non-dual awareness which is supposed to be constant?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 9:30 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 9:29 PM

RE: Consciousness, awareness, and inconstancy

Sam K R:
A question to experienced meditators:

Is consciousness (Pali: viññāṇa) constant or inconstant?
If it is inconstant then how is it related to the pure non-dual awareness which is supposed to be constant?

What do you mean by 'constant'? Do you mean one of these definitions?

con·stant (knstnt)
adj.
1. Continually occurring; persistent.
2. Regularly recurring: plagued by constant interruptions.
3. Unchanging in nature, value, or extent; invariable. See Synonyms at continual.
4. Steadfast in purpose, loyalty, or affection; faithful. See Synonyms at faithful.

Here is what the the wiki entry says of viññāṇa

Pali literature
Throughout Pali literature, viññāṇa[1] can be found as one of a handful of synonyms for the mental force that animates the otherwise inert material body.[6] In a number of Pali texts though, the term has a more nuanced and context-specific (or "technical") meaning. In particular, in the Pali Canon's "Discourse Basket" (Suttapitaka), viññāṇa (generally translated as "consciousness") is discussed in at least three related but different contexts:

(1) as a derivative of the sense bases (āyatana), part of the experientially exhaustive "All" (sabba);
(2) as one of the five aggregates (khandha) of clinging (upadana) at the root of suffering (dukkha); and,
(3) as one of the twelve causes (nidana) of "Dependent Origination" (paticcasamuppāda) which provides a template for Buddhist notions of kamma, rebirth and release.[2]
In the Pali Canon's Abhidhamma and in post-canonical Pali commentaries, consciousness (viññāṇa) is further analyzed into 89 different states which are categorized in accordance with their kammic results.

I'd say it would be ideal to figure this out for oneself within the realm of one's own practice. As me telling you what I see in my own experience will not give you the insight that liberates.

What does your own practice tell you about the constancy of viññāṇa according to their definitions above?
SK R, modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 11:26 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 11:19 PM

Thanks, Nikolai for the reply

Nikolai .:

con·stant (knstnt)
adj.
3. Unchanging in nature, value, or extent; invariable. See Synonyms at continual.
4. Steadfast in purpose, loyalty, or affection; faithful. See Synonyms at faithful.

Yes, that is what I meant by constant.

And, by viññāṇa I mean one of the aggregates that cognizes.

I'd say it would be ideal to figure this out for oneself within the realm of one's own practice. As me telling you what I see in my own experience will not give you the insight that liberates.
What does your own practice tell you about the constancy of viññāṇa according to their definitions above?

To my very limited experience and intuition consciousness is inconstant, and I expected that the answer to my first question would be: inconstant. So, my main question is:
how is consciousness (which is inconstant) related to the pure non-dual awareness which is supposed to be constant? Are they totally different form each other?

I am confused because according to many advanced meditators the pure non-dual awareness experienced by them is not inconstant (at least that is my impression) . But isn't awareness a function of consciousness? Then if consciousness is inconstant, how could there be a non-dual experience of unalterable pure awareness?

I am sorry if the questions sound more philosophical rather than pragmatic, but this question is pestering me while reading Daniel's book, and my stage of practice is still very far from the level required to get the answer based on experience.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 11:42 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 11:35 PM

Sam K R:
Thanks, Nikolai for the reply

Nikolai .:

con·stant (knstnt)
adj.

Yes, that is what I meant by constant.

And, by viññāṇa I mean one of the aggregates that cognizes.

To my very limited experience and intuition consciousness is inconstant, and I expected that the answer to my first question would be: inconstant. So, my main question is:
how is consciousness (which is inconstant) related to the pure non-dual awareness which is supposed to be constant? Are they totally different form each other?

Where does it say 'non-dual awareness' is constant? And what is the definition of 'non-dual awareness' that you are adhering to with these queries?

I am confused because according to many advanced meditators the pure non-dual awareness experienced by them is not inconstant (at least that is my impression) . But isn't awareness a function of consciousness? Then if consciousness is inconstant, how could there be a non-dual experience of unalterable pure awareness?

Who are these 'advanced meditators' and what did they say to give this impression of inconstancy? Perhaps the last question you ask be best answered by actually exploring those notions in practice. I personally don't see anything not subject to the three characteristics. An awareness drops away when I sleep and when a cessation of all the senses occurs. It can be interrupted. And that goes for awareness without a felt sense of inner and outer world (duality). The concept of 'non-dual awareness' seems to have a number of definitions depending on the person and tradition.

I am sorry if the questions sound more philosophical rather than pragmatic, but this question is pestering me while reading Daniel's book, and my stage of practice is still very far from the level required to get the answer based on experience.

Can you quote Daniel's book so there is more light shed on the issue you have?
SK R, modified 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 11:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/21/12 11:55 PM

Where does it say 'non-dual awareness' is constant? And what is the definition of 'non-dual awareness' that you are adhering to with these queries?
Can you quote Daniel's book so there is more light shed on the issue you have?

Yes, from this page:MCTB No-self vs. True Self
For the sake of discussion, and in keeping with standard Buddhist thought, awareness is permanent and unchanging. It is also said that, “All things arise from it, and all things return to it,” though again this implies a false certainty about something which is actually impenetrably mysterious and mixing the concept of infinite potential with awareness is a notoriously dangerous business. We could call it “God,” “Nirvana,” “The Tao,” “The Void,” “Allah,” “Krishna,” “Intrinsic Luminosity,” “Buddha Nature,” “Buddha,” “Bubba” or just “awareness” as long as we realize the above caveats, especially that it is not a thing or localized in any particular place and has no definable qualities. Awareness is sometimes conceptualized as pervading all of this while not being all of this, and sometimes conceptualized as being inherent in all of this while not being anything in particular. Neither is quite true, though both perspectives can be useful.

Who are these 'advanced meditators' and what did they say to give this impression of inconstancy?

They are meditators in Buddhist or non-Buddhist tradition who talk about non-duality also. I used the word "advanced" just to emphasize that they are much experienced and many of them are teaching meditations too. Many of them say that pure awareness (sometimes they use the phrase "pure consciousness") is unalterable, conscious, and bliss.

I personally don't see anything not subject to the three characteristics. An awareness drops away when I sleep and when a cessation of all the senses occurs. It can be interrupted. And that goes for awareness without a felt sense of inner and outer world (duality).

That is my understanding too; that's why I am confused.
SK R, modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 12:04 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 12:02 AM

Again he also says in the same page:
Again, realize that all of this language is basically useless in the end and prone to not making much sense. Only examination of our reality will help us to actually directly understand this, but it will not be in a way accessible to the rational mind. Nothing in the content of our thoughts can really explain the experience of the understanding I am about to point to, though there is something in the direct experience of those thoughts that might reveal it. Everything that I am about to try to explain here can become a great entangling net of useless views without direct insight.

Probably true. But this rational mind wants answers before experiencing. emoticon
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 1:01 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 1:01 AM

You will get rational explanation if you want, but being right or intelligent or knowledgable isn't liberating at all. I've worked at times with both assumptions and with neither, leaving the issue alone seems best in my experience.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 4:53 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 4:53 AM

Try this:

While there is any experience of any kind, there always appears to be a quality of cognizance, or so it seems.

In this way, you could say that every time there is experience, there is this sense of presence, or consciousness, or awareness, or whatever, but notice how this statement is essentially saying that whenever there is experience, there is experience, or, in the same way, it is like saying that every time there are sensations there are sensations.

If we view the world one way, the way in which it appears that some sensations cognize other sensations, then it seems that there is a separate cognizance, or consciousness, or awareness, or experiencer, or watcher, or whatever.

When we see those sensations all more clearly, or more properly they just get more clear themselves somehow, the thing flips around, and now there seem to be only sensations themselves with no knower, no experiencer, no awareness, no attention that is different from those bare sensations themselves.

In the first mode, as every time there is experience there seems to be an experiencer, then it appears that there is something permanently there that is experiencing, cognizing, perceiving, conscious of, etc.

In the second mode, it still has some quality that is essentially the same, but the difference is that it seems to be intrinsic in sensations, or is just the sensations, by the very nature of sensations seeming to have been sensed, but in reality they are more fundamentally just themselves than that, with no sensor or knower at all, and yet, whenever there is the sense world obviously there is the sense world, and this gives a sense of this aspect of things being perpetual in some way, though more properly it is a redundancy to say this, an extra thing not needed at this point at all.

Daniel
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 7:08 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 7:07 AM

consciusness is inconstant in the sense that it is changing(arising and passing away) continuously..Look at your screen..there is eye consciousness with contents of the screen and turn your head now , the eye consciousness of the screen drops instantly and accomodates new data...this mean that when you were looking at the screen , the sense data representing the screen was constantly arising and passing away..it lasts just one moment(not sure how long that moment is thoughemoticon)
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 9:13 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 9:13 AM

There's no shortage of intellectual explanations of this subject if you're looking for them. Sartre is making roughly the same point in The Transcendence of the Ego. You could also look at the philosophical literature around the homunculus argument. I know this is something Daniel Dennett has written a lot about.

Personally, I found my mind inclined toward seeing things this way from a very early age, before I ever knew anything about philosophy or meditation, and so when I took up those practices (first philosophy, and then meditation many years after that), it just sort of made sense to me. I don't see it as being very mysterious or difficult to grasp at all. The implications are a bit baffling, though not any more baffling than the idea of a separate observer/homunculus.
SK R, modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 11:10 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 11:08 PM

Thank you, Daniel for replying in detail.
Also thanks to shashank and fitter for your input
An Eternal Now, modified 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 11:51 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/22/12 11:51 PM

Sam K R:
Thank you, Daniel for replying in detail.
Also thanks to shashank and fitter for your input
Sam K R, there was once I too felt and thought that nondual awareness is unchanging. It is also seen to be some eternal super-Self. As insight progresses, that was seen to be false.

My progress is rather similar to this: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

Breadcrumb