Searching for a non-dogmatic, high-quality one-week retreat in Europe

iarba verde, geändert vor 4 Tagen at 24.06.24 14:33
Created 4 Tagen ago at 24.06.24 14:32

Searching for a non-dogmatic, high-quality one-week retreat in Europe

Dear Community,

I am looking for a retreat in Central Europe that would accomodate my interests, wishes and limitations.
My goal is to go for a week of serious practice and see some significant progress with my meditation.
I am in the middle of exploring/finding something and wish to tune and improve my current training.
At this stage, I have no interest or need to learn someone else's preferred method.
What I need is the structure of a solid day schedule and a nice place to sit with others.
I would very much appreciate feedback from an open-minded teacher who is past stream entry (a wish, not a must).
My budget is about 1000€ for the whole week, including flights and hotel if needed.

The methods I currently work on are:
- watching my breath; specifically, the breath-in and breath-out unconscious triggers (not the sensations at the nose!)
- during walking meditation: the same for the spinal walk reflexes
- watching how sensations and other triggers evolve into thoughts that come and pass by

My inspiration sources are Mahasi Sayadaw (Manual of Insight) and Daniel Ingram (Mastering...).
I read the classics (Long/Middle Discourses, Dhammapada, Mind Illuminated, Dogen etc.); but that's only the theory.
I attend a weekly Zen meditation where they mostly let me do how I will (though somewhat reluctantly).
There is no Mahasi Vipassana group or similar that I am aware of in my area.
Unfortunately, I do not have enough time for consistent practice at home.
I got introduced to meditation long ago through it being taught together with Japanese martial arts.
During the Big CORONA Boredom, I possibly achieved A&P (don't laugh!) noting while rowing on an ergometer.

I would like to avoid retreats where people mistake meditation for substance abuse and Vipassana for Tantra.
This includes places that attract such a public: easy to recognize by the rules that try to fix the problem mentioned.

Since I'll be back at work after the retreat, I need proper accomodation, not a dorm or hostel.
A decent hotel nearby would do, if the center has no good rooms.

As I have seen this asked by some centers: I will not buy anyone's preferred uniform to wear for a week.
A plain and terse training suit or similar should please be acceptable.

Contact restrictions with the outside are unfortunately another no-go.
I have older parents that I need to stay in contact with; an emergency may happen anytime.
My wife would also beat me if I completely disappear.

Last but not least, I am at the "almost done" end of recovering from successful knee surgery and rebooting sports.
I need a place that will allow me to sit as I can (they do not enforce their preferred position).
Normally my own Zafu will do; a bad day requiring a chair might happen after some long sessions.

What do you think? Can I find my place? I would really like to avoid my first retreat to be a solo one.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, geändert vor 3 Tagen at 24.06.24 20:21
Created 3 Tagen ago at 24.06.24 20:20

RE: Searching for a non-dogmatic, high-quality one-week retreat in Europe

My first retreat was a solo one emoticon I only wish I've done it with this community under my belt! So to get ready and prepped up! I passed A&P and entered DN and got utterly desperate trying to get back to my "perfect meditation" but it got only worse. Years of falling down the dark night realm and so on and so forth ... emoticon Today all is ok. It likely always was but I didn't know that back then emoticon

Start a log here on DhO, daily log. Once we get to know you a bit, you will get far better advice. 

May you awaken, may you be free from suffering, may you be truly happy. 
Matt Jon Rousseau, geändert vor 3 Tagen at 25.06.24 18:23
Created 3 Tagen ago at 25.06.24 18:23

Not to hijack the thread but how long was tour solo retreat?  I can't figure out how to dm
iarba verde, geändert vor 2 Tagen at 26.06.24 12:51
Created 2 Tagen ago at 26.06.24 12:49

Thank you for you answer, Papa Che (I appreciate your humour while transcending those diapers).

Were I to go for a solo retreat, do you or the Community know a place that would accept me? I would prefer to attend a retreat center for several reasons:

- stay away from the distractions at home (family, packet deliveries, neighbours, cooking, laundry etc. etc.)
- stay away from distractions in a non-dedicated spot (breakfest rush hour, no place to sit etc.)
- while meditating, have someone in the room doing something similar: perfect against procrastination. This is the same idea as reading at the library.

Cheers
Merlin Cunningham Cunningham, geändert vor 17 Stunden at 28.06.24 02:34
Created 17 Stunden ago at 28.06.24 02:34

Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 28.06.24 Neueste Beiträge
I value your humor in overcoming those diapers, and I thank you for responding, Papa Che.
Olivier S, geändert vor 14 Stunden at 28.06.24 04:52
Created 15 Stunden ago at 28.06.24 04:41

@iarbaverde retreats can be really great that is for sure. Don't know where you're located, but my sort of go to place for retreats in France has been Centre Kalachakra. They are an FPMT center, so they are traditional mahayanists in theory, but the people you will meet there are mostly oecumenical and open-minded (and parisian, oftentimes) and the overall ethos is one of joyful tolerance, there is no sense of constraint or anything like that, although there is for instance a monk living there most of the time. Some of their stuff is more along the lines of straight religious, and some of their other retreats are really not (the vipassana/mahamudra combo for instance, you could do the vipassana retreat this summer). Granted, like all retreat centers, they don't screen participants enough and are too laid back in the ethics of offering these powerful and potentially destabalizing practices, but it is still the best I've found in France, having looked around quite a bit; it is also pretty cheap, well within your budget, the food, the people, and the place overall are all quite nice, easily accessible from Paris. You can also do solo retreats, at least when you come with some retreat experience showing you can handle a solo retreat: that's mostly what I've been doing in the past years.

ps: Also, I think all your requirements would be met, i.e., you can sit however you want, chair, zafu, special meditation chairs, standing up, yoga mat... If you need to use itnernet in your room, obviously no one will check and you can just do whatever you want... If you don't feel like you can attend some sessions, no one will insist that you practice more, Philippe the retreat leader is a kind person who will listen to you and your situation. He will offer specific practices at specific moments of the retreat, because this is what many people going there will expect, but if you've got your own thing going, you can feel free to just do what you need to do, with the benefit of having the usual mahasi style schedule alternating sitting and walking meditations, although it is slightly lighter in terms of hours than real mahasi derived retreat centers, but without the whole gloominess/seriousness/strictness/pressure to practice intensely or "follow instructions" I've experienced in other retreat centers, nor the sense of hierarchy you sometimes encounter. The instructions feel more like a crutch for those who need it, rather than a program one has to follow like a good boy.

Breadcrumb