A question about protection magick

Manu Sefu, modificado hace 11 días at 16/09/24 11:01
Created 11 días ago at 16/09/24 10:27

A question about protection magick

Mensajes: 9 Fecha de incorporación: 16/09/24 Mensajes recientes
Hallo guys! I would like to ask you a question.
Do you believe that you can use Magick to protect your property?
Many Magick books say about that. Now, I know that if the Magick will work and how well has to do with my level of Magickal abilities.
But do you believe is possible? Use Magick to protect not from psychic attack but even from physical harm ?
Donald Michael kraig and hine wrote about it and Peter j caroll. These are respected practicioners, Donald has sadly left us, and they write in their books about this kind of magick.
​​​​​​​I would like to discuss. 

Thank you all! emoticon
thumbnail
Chris M, modificado hace 11 días at 16/09/24 12:38
Created 11 días ago at 16/09/24 12:38

RE: A question about protection magick

Mensajes: 5404 Fecha de incorporación: 26/01/13 Mensajes recientes
I locked this topic earlier in order to evaluate its source given the recent posting sprees here. This was done out of an abundance of caution as the language style used here was similar to those other posts. I've unlocked this topic now but will continue to monitor the DhO closely.

Chris M
DhO Moderator
Martin, modificado hace 11 días at 16/09/24 12:47
Created 11 días ago at 16/09/24 12:47

Mensajes: 982 Fecha de incorporación: 25/04/20 Mensajes recientes
Of course you can. Bright lights, magic writing such as, "24 Surveilence" and "Beware of Dog," and placing valuable objects in carefully selected places work well.  

But here's another thing to try. See if you can mentally let go of your possessions. That way, nobody can take them from you.
Manu Sefu, modificado hace 10 días at 16/09/24 13:55
Created 10 días ago at 16/09/24 13:55

Thank you Chris, continue doing your job.
Martin I think you making fun of my post. What do you mean magical writing ?
What I would have some is some abstract ritual, my taste  in the line of chaos Magick and use that basic visualization skills that I have.
CAn you expand ​​?
As for the if you can mentally let go of your possession, try to let them go physically.
Alley Faint Wurds, modificado hace 10 días at 16/09/24 14:28
Created 10 días ago at 16/09/24 14:28

Mensajes: 42 Fecha de incorporación: 30/07/24 Mensajes recientes
You could definitely cast some sigils or whatever, but like martin implied, some signs implying cameras and dogs would help also.

You could even buy some security cameras and enchant them, if you're into technology themed magick.

I'd be careful about putting too much energy into this though, as you probably don't want to manifest things to protect yourself from.

Doing rituals where you infuse your home with happy healing energy or whatever is what I would do, and then also buy some mundane security measures based on what you need protection from.
Manu Sefu, modificado hace 10 días at 16/09/24 14:50
Created 10 días ago at 16/09/24 14:49

Thank you Alley for your kind answer, well written also. emoticon Now look something strange. I listen talks from Henepola Gunaratana especially those about brahma viharas. This topic is something I connect with protection. Now, Henepola sais about brahma viharas that there is not anything metaphysical about and that the dangers that brahma viharas protect you from are metaphorical, swords spears and fire I think those dangers are. He explain them as bad words,hatred greed, something along these lines. BUT, on an other talk, the same monk sais that a man used he's metta to quell an attacker that he was gonna shot him. No the monk, the man that the story is connected to. On an other story, and he was there he sais, a boy was very well known in Myanmar about he's loving kindness. The boy used he's loving kindness to calm an angry dog, ferocious. Not only this, but the boy put he's hand inside the mouth of the dog and put out a bone that caused irritation to the poor animal. Now, I believe these stories, I take the word of Gunaratana. But why has he to be so confusing ? One talk nothing metaphysical, loving kindness can protect you from mental dangers not real ones, and the other time balls-on-the-wall psychic stuff. So to make something out of, I watched and the monk Pa-ayk Sayadaw. He was more clarifying at these things, using jhana in the time of danger maximize your possibility to survive a danger. Specifically he sais stories from the sutras that people used the power of loving kindness to escape from danger. Also the same exactly sais and Mahasi, in he's book brahmavihara dhamma. ​​​​​​​ ​ ​​

​​​​LEts talk guys because all these have produce many difficulties in my practice.
​​​​​​​
Martin, modificado hace 10 días at 16/09/24 15:46
Created 10 días ago at 16/09/24 15:46

I'm not making fun of your post. I'm making a comment on how magick works. It works by expressing intention through ritual. Conventional rituals often work best.

I also wasn't joking about letting go. 

I lived in the Philippines in the 80s, when parts of the country were a little rough, and a European wandering on their own far from the tourist sites could draw attention. I used to carry about a week's wages worth of cash in my pocket to give to anyone who demanded it. I also resolved that, anyone who asked for money and wasn't satisfied with what I had in my pocket, would be invited to come back to my house and take everything I had. This made my adventures quite relaxing, as I never felt I had to defend anything. As it happened, nobody ever demanded anything of me, even though there were countless stories of robberies in the paper. So maybe there was a little magic working there too, as I ritualized my intentions. 
Manu Sefu, modificado hace 10 días at 17/09/24 8:46
Created 10 días ago at 17/09/24 8:45

Thank you for your story. It was your second sentence that made me think you are joking. That you don't believe in any Magickal protection so you propose the remedy of letting go of any possessions. So in my mind I was like "Well, yeah, but you go first lord Buddha". Your time in the Philippines must have been adventurous at least, in the 80s! Crazy. In a good way.
Martin, modificado hace 10 días at 17/09/24 11:43
Created 10 días ago at 17/09/24 11:43

Those are good observations and I think you are raising an interesting question of to what extent practice impacts our physical reality as opposed to only impacting our psychological reality. I currently see the impacts of practice as inseparable from physical reality. For example, some people say that reducing suffering through liberation/renunciation/disenchantment only applies to psychological suffering, like anxiety or depression, and not to physical suffering but, having recently been very ill and close to death I can see that liberation also ends/reduces suffering due to things like pain and illness. When it comes to things like money and family, the same applies. It's not that practice will fill your wallet or bring you a happy family (though that may happen a bit, essentially through magick) but it will make it possible to see riches in a thin wallet or find some happiness even in a family that struggles. 

Going back to your original question, what really got my attention is that I thought it was possible that you might have some worry about your own physical safety or the safety of your positions. There can be a lot of anxiety and suffering in those sorts of concerns, and that anxiety can actually expose us to more harm. For example, when people are aware that you are trying to protect your possessions, bad actors are more likely to look at you as someone worth stealing from. Alley mentioned this. Acting out of anxiety can cause problems to manifest. 

For anyone worried about these sorts of things, the solution most often suggested is a long-term approach of both: practicing (in the Buddhist sense) to decrease clinging, increase metta/compassion, and increase insight; and practicing (in the day-to-day world sense) to reduce risks by things like buying a lock, getting insurance, not getting drunk, building your saving account. These two types of practices reinforce each other. A calm, friendly person has more friends and fewer enemies, a person with more friends and fewer enemies is more likely to be calm and friendly. A sober, diligent person is more likely to put aside money. A person with a little money put aside is less likely to need to drink away their troubles or give up on a job half-finished. 

You might be interested in an explanation of how metta was seen to work in this sort of way in early Buddhism. The part where he is talking about it starts at the 3-minute mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eQwk4OEeGU
Manu Sefu, modificado hace 10 días at 17/09/24 12:10
Created 10 días ago at 17/09/24 12:10

Thank you for your answer. But what you have told me is some splendid Buddhism.  I'm talking about Magick, but I use through the day, all day, in my breath a wish about loving kindness. Like s mantra. 
What is your opinion for example in Donald Michael's Kraig's and others magicians practices about protection? They specifically say about Magick protecting a house for example. And I think Donald Michael Kraig is well respected. Was all of this in their mind ? I'm asking not si from the point of worrying and fear but from the point of what Magick is capable of.
Provided you have some fair skills in visualization and how Magick works in general, doesn't that means that you have more probabilities to keep safe ? 
I took the probability thing from Peter Carolls theory how Magick works.
​​​​​​​
Martin, modificado hace 10 días at 17/09/24 12:24
Created 10 días ago at 17/09/24 12:24

I don't really know much about magick but I think that Peter Carroll's ideas fit well with a lot of Buddhist approaches to life. I also think that magick is mostly low-hanging fruit. It's OK as a stop-gap measure but it can only take you so far. Most of the benefits of magick are already included in the benefits of living conscientiously. For example, I think it would be a good place to start for someone who has never investigated spiritual matters. But when someone knows the dharma, it makes most sense to focus on that, if they have an interest, because the payoffs are incompatibly greater than the payoffs of magick. 
Manu Sefu, modificado hace 10 días at 17/09/24 12:35
Created 10 días ago at 17/09/24 12:35

Which is a legit translation of brahmavihara dhamma of Mahasi Sayadaw ? Are those that I can downloadfrom the internet
​​good ?
J Bird, modificado hace 8 días at 18/09/24 19:41
Created 8 días ago at 18/09/24 19:41

Mensajes: 32 Fecha de incorporación: 10/12/23 Mensajes recientes
You might like Damon Brand.
Manu Sefu, modificado hace 8 días at 19/09/24 7:15
Created 8 días ago at 19/09/24 6:24

Found him a little over the top.
‎ ‎Nihila, modificado hace 8 días at 19/09/24 9:02