Narrative-poetic accounts of deity yoga?

Alley Faint Wurds, modificado hace 7 días at 19/09/24 19:00
Created 7 días ago at 19/09/24 19:00

Narrative-poetic accounts of deity yoga?

Mensajes: 42 Fecha de incorporación: 30/07/24 Mensajes recientes
Are there any books or other texts which provide experiential descriptions of deity yoga, ideally all stages?

What I would most like to find are long form narrative-poetic accounts of deity yoga.

What do you think of the premise of a book written with hypnotic language to induce these sorts of experiences within the reader?

I've written a few books which engage in that sort of relationship with the reader, but with an open source magickal language for precisely designing said "deities," so I'm curious what precedent there is for these kinds of magickal manuscripts, and if there are traditional buddhist guidelines to their safe usage.

I did read The Dark Red Amulet by Khenchem Palden Sherab Rinpoche and Khenpo, and Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche The Extremely Secret Dakini of Naropa by Dechen Nyingpo Pabongkha awhile back, albeit through a lense of philosophical analysis of aesthetic grammar, rather than having knowledge of what all of the symbols referred to, so that did influence what I've been doing!

Thank you for your time!
John Wick, modificado hace 7 días at 19/09/24 23:06
Created 7 días ago at 19/09/24 23:02

RE: Narrative-poetic accounts of deity yoga?

Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 19/09/24 Mensajes recientes
I find the topic absolutely fascinating and you seem to be quite knowledgable. 

The Dark Red Amulet by Khenchem Palden Sherab Rinpoche and Khenpo, and Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche The Extremely Secret Dakini of Naropa by Dechen Nyingpo Pabongkha.

Would you recommend any of these?

I found that Hinduism provided me with the raw basics -> Devas / Asuras and Brahnma, but my knowledge extends only thus far.

I use Chat-GPT to study when I can. It is quicker than digesting a heft book. Are there any good questions I could send its way to dig more about the subject?

For example, I read Daniel's book twice, but found myself prefering going to wikipedia and other resources to dig into Theravada. A bit faster than reading a book or 3.

Ah. 
I prefer not a poetic approach but a more mythological, ontological and "Jungian" perspective. 
shargrol, modificado hace 7 días at 20/09/24 7:59
Created 7 días ago at 20/09/24 7:59

Mensajes: 2654 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/16 Mensajes recientes
Maybe it IS John Wick? emoticon emoticon
Alley Faint Wurds, modificado hace 7 días at 20/09/24 10:33
Created 7 días ago at 20/09/24 10:33

Mensajes: 42 Fecha de incorporación: 30/07/24 Mensajes recientes
John:

Yeah, I greatly enjoyed those books and found them influential, even if I haven't been initiated into the meanings every symbol in them

The Dark Red Amulet in particular has a lot of clear explanation in it. Supposedly it includes the written form of what would typically be oral transmission from a guru.

I guess that component is slightly controversial, but I found it helpful.

I also use AI a lot, but I wouldn't use it to study raw info. It's good for using logic, and for introducing you to ideas and books, but AI makes things up too, so it's best to chat with people also (like we're doing now!) and figure which sources are the most reliable.

That said, I don't mind helping you with a couple AI prompts! What exactly were you hoping to find out, or get the AI to do for you?

If you have an understanding of the subject and provide all the necessary definitions in your prompt (could be an essay length prompt!), it will use logic pretty well to answer questions about those topics. But if you don’t give it the correct definitions, you might get weird answers sometimes.

Kind of like Wikipedia, chatgpt can help you get a surface level understanding quick, but often with errors or misleading info mixed in, lol. When I use wiki like that, I try to check out the books the article cites to get a more complete picture. Wikipedia is a good first step, but a lot gets left out if that's where you stop!

Jungian approaches can also be narrative-poetic works, like his own Red Book!

Jung takes the time in The Red Book to describe how his "active imagination" experiments make him feel, so it does have that "experiential" quality I'm looking for, and the prose has a literary quality, even though I've only read it in translation!

Ruta de navegación