Places for intensive retreat over 1 month?

power of constancy, muokattu 14 päivää sitten at 12.9.2024 13:20
Created 15 päivää ago at 12.9.2024 13:11

Places for intensive retreat over 1 month?

I'm putting together a list of places one can go that are conducive to retreat of one-month plus, preferably in the Insight / Vipassana / Theravada tradition. I live in the USA, so the list is skewed that way, but open to anywhere in the world! Please let me know if you are familiar with any retreat centers that would be good to add to the list!!  Below is what I've got so far:

A typical group retreat, with a set start and end point, a community, a teacher, etc.: 

• Southern Dharma has a month-long retreat in winter (affordable'ish)
  • Spirit Rock has a 1 and 2-month retreat in Winter (expensive but with scholarship options)
  • IMS has a 6-week and 3-month retreat in autumn (expensive but with scholarship options)
  • Boundless Refuge led a 3-month retreat the last few years, combining Zen and Vipassana

Places where it’s a little more self-guided but with teacher support:
Theravada monasteries w/ work practice & not in noble silence:
Theravada monasteries in Asia w/ no work practice. Note I'm leaving out Myanamar-based monasteries due to their current civil conflict.  
I'd also be interested to hear if people know of affordable places where one can stay with no guidance, like renting a cabin in the woods w/ a kitchen, or where one could stay at a Monastery in Asia long-term, even if no teacher support.
thumbnail
Evangeline A K McDowell, muokattu 12 päivää sitten at 14.9.2024 23:44
Created 12 päivää ago at 14.9.2024 23:44

RE: Places for intensive retreat over 1 month?

I think your list is fantastic congratz!

Here's a funny, very funny and actual recommendation:
Go to a mental hospital with an Esquizophrenia diagnosis or a similar one.

They give you food, medication and you only need to sleep and meditate.

I did so much magick in two months inside a mental hospital you wouldn't believe it. Could link you to examples emoticon

Murupolku