Where to find someone to provide feedback on ongoing meditation.

5 日前 に hershl hershl によって更新されました。 at 24/06/23 10:23
Created 5 日 ago at 24/06/23 10:23

Where to find someone to provide feedback on ongoing meditation.

投稿: 6 参加年月日: 22/06/26 最新の投稿
I have been doing Theravadin practice, off and on, for over 20 years.

For a long time this was mainly done at retreat centers. However, with the passage of time and the challenges of the body ( I am in my 70s), traveling and sitting as I once did, is less practical. Consequently, I sit mainly on my own and do noting while moving around.

I approached a man who once helped me with this but he no longer responds to my attempts to make contact.

How can I find someone who would be willing to give me feedback on my practice virtually?

I am located in Maryland, USA.

Also, and I want this to be clear, I have been led since I was in highschool in the sixties to the realm of Advaita Vedanta. I spent time in India with a student of Nisargadatta and also have virtually been speaking with Bob Adamson ( Sailor Bob) who is in Australia. He in turn spent time with Nisargadatta in the 70s and was opened to the reality of Presence Awareness and beyond.

​​​​​​​So my teacher would need to be aware of this aspect of my experience, as well.
5 日前 に Martin によって更新されました。 at 24/06/23 10:52
Created 5 日 ago at 24/06/23 10:52

RE: Where to find someone to provide feedback on ongoing meditation.

投稿: 889 参加年月日: 20/04/25 最新の投稿
Some questions that came up when I read your post are:

Are you looking for a meditation friend or a teacher?

If you are looking for a friend, what level of experience or expertise would you want them to have?

If you are looking for a teacher, are you looking for a teacher that you would pay (or give dana to)? Your practice has been focused on Advaita Vedanta, are you now looking to get feedback from someone in one of the Buddhist traditions and, if so, do you want that to be Therevadan or would any tradition do?

Don't feel like you have to answer these but you might want to flesh out your request a bit. 
5 日前 に hershl hershl によって更新されました。 at 24/06/23 11:36
Created 5 日 ago at 24/06/23 11:36

投稿: 6 参加年月日: 22/06/26 最新の投稿
Thanks so much for reading my words and taking the time to respond.

I have been doing anapannasati and noting a la mahasi sayadaw whom I met in the 70s as well as u ba khin sweeping as taught by Mother Sayama, his foremost student and the person whom he asked to continue his work for many years.

In addition, as mentioned, I find the approach of nisargadatta ( Advaita) incredibly helpful. 

I want a teacher with experience in giving very detailed feedback for Theravadin Buddhist practice as described above, who could work with me virtually. I would check in with them occasionally to mutually determined.

I am happy to give dana.

Hope this helps clarify my request.
5 日前 に Martin によって更新されました。 at 24/06/23 11:53
Created 5 日 ago at 24/06/23 11:53

投稿: 889 参加年月日: 20/04/25 最新の投稿
Super! Virtual meetings make it so much easier. It seems to be close to the only way that teachers work these days. My teacher and I live in the same city, by pure coincidence, but we only meet through Zoom.

There are some leads here:
https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/21564331

Not every mentioned teacher is listed there. Two other ones that come to mind are Stephan Proctor and Dhammarato (totally different styles and backgrounds by the way). 

If you look at some of these teachers and want to know more, you could post a message here asking for details on a specific teacher. I would imagine that some students would also be willing to have a chat with you about their teacher. 

パンくずリスト