AF method questions - felicitous feelings.

richard weeden, modified 13 Years ago at 2/15/11 11:03 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/15/11 11:03 AM

AF method questions - felicitous feelings.

I have been studying and employing the AF method consistently for a couple of weeks using the AF site, and the threads here for guidance. I have experienced what I take to be PCEs lasting between 30 minutes and a few hours on a number of occasions.

I would describe as a good session practiced sitting in an armchair or walking slowly through the city as something like this.

I ask HAIETMOBA, or a similar question such as 'what is getting in the way?'
Sometimes there is a subtle sense of lack, or a sense of unease due to a thought, a previous conversation or a simple body sensation such as aching or pressure in the body. Or a craving for a PCE or more pleasant expereince.

When this has settled or is gone I gently rest the mind at the edges of the sense doors - looking at shapes, colours etc in their wholeness, noticing if the mind tend to fixate on any object particularly and enter cycling mode.

If there any signs of this I let go of the fixation by shifting the awareness to another object or sense door.
After a while there can be sensations of the heart opening and a feeling of love (metta) - if I stay in the direct physical sensations of the opening heart this passes in seconds.

After a while I may then may expereince a sense of wonder, delight and amazement,, and joy. These seem to more mind-based, and less body based than the the metta feelings. I take these to be what the AF method describes as felicitous feelings. There is a lot of enjoyment at this point. I take this to what the AF literature describes. The sensual awareness really intensifies here.

Later, almost unbidden something may pop and I fall into what I take to be a PCE. This is characterised by effortlessness and decentredness. There is what I would decribe as a virgin quality to experience. Activity, particularly in reation to others appears unimpeded by any emotional agenda whatsoever. Sometimes I have felt this to be what the Buddhist tradition describes as a pure land. I make no effort to try and hang onto this.

My question are about the nature of the PCE and felicitous feelings.

Is it always necessary to travel to the PCE through the felicitous feelings stage?

Sometimes for example I don't seem to be expriencing any negative stuff, but don't feel the positivity of the felicitoous feeling stage - should I just persist with sensuous attention, or try and find more felicity and wonder in my experience? If so, is this what the AF method is getting at when it suggest recalling previous PCE expereinces ie: if we remember a PCE the mind is gladdened and then another PCE follows?

Should felicitous feelings just be allowed complete freedom to express and fulfil themselves so they naturally tend to the PCE and then simply disappear when the PCE happens?

Is there any wonder and amazement delight in the PCE?
Sometimes for example I have a subtle sense that something amazing is happening - though this is much more subtle than in the felicitous feeling stage, and isn't grounded in a centred self.

Thanks in advance for anything anyone has to say.

Rich.
Trent , modified 12 Years ago at 4/1/11 7:29 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/1/11 7:29 PM

RE: AF method questions - felicitous feelings.

richard weeden:
Is it always necessary to travel to the PCE through the felicitous feelings stage?

no.

richard weeden:
Sometimes for example I don't seem to be expriencing any negative stuff, but don't feel the positivity of the felicitoous feeling stage - should I just persist with sensuous attention, or try and find more felicity and wonder in my experience?

try those approaches exclusively and try blending them too. discern the cause and effect in those situations ... observe what works and then do that.

richard weeden:
If so, is this what the AF method is getting at when it suggest recalling previous PCE expereinces ie: if we remember a PCE the mind is gladdened and then another PCE follows?

can you ask this question another way?

richard weeden:
Should felicitous feelings just be allowed complete freedom to express and fulfil themselves so they naturally tend to the PCE and then simply disappear when the PCE happens?

try to neither express nor repress any feeling-- felicitous or otherwise. instead, be attentive of them while cultivating sensuousness-- that will allow for the magic of apperceptive awareness (the pce) to become one's experience.

richard weeden:
Sometimes for example I have a subtle sense that something amazing is happening - though this is much more subtle than in the felicitous feeling stage, and isn't grounded in a centred self.

there may be a sense of this, especially the first few times it is experienced. the important thing is to hold one's experiences to a high standard-- perfection being as high as it gets.

richard weeden:
Thanks in advance for anything anyone has to say.

you're welcome.

trent

Breadcrumb